<VV> Tire gurus

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sun Mar 27 11:03:24 EST 2005

That may be, in the strict OPERATIONAL sense of the vehicle. But in the
VISUAL sense of seeing the car (as in a concours), they are STILL too
small. They don't give the correct view of the car in a historic
context. If you've ever seen a car with an authentic set of 7.00-13's on
it next to a car with a set of your "correct" 185's on it, you'll see
what I mean. And it is THAT visual image that makes them objectionable
to me. Plus I have the physical evidence, if you care to dispute me.

BTW if you look on the speedo housing label on a late model, it will see
that it is labeled as factory-rated for 825 revolutions per mile, which
translates into a rolling diameter of 24.44 inches. Just try to find a
185/80R-13 tire listed as having THAT rolling diameter! (And FYI, I once
checked an authentic set of 7.00-13's for rolling diameter, and they
came within just a few feet of being dead-on in a measured 5 miles. Sure
must have been a true 24.44 inches in rolling diameter.)

I know I've battled CORSA on this before, but I KNOW I'm right. If
someone could prove me wrong, then I'd change my mind, and then I'd be
right again. But to date nothing anyone has said defending the 185's has
proven to be right, so I will continue to hold onto what I know to be
correct.  The 185's are STILL too small! But I suppose it's all
academic, since it's all you can get anymore...... Which is why I wish
someone would produce a REAL 7.00-13 tire......

-Mark