<VV> Garage Mahal

John Dozsa jdozsa at carr.org
Mon Mar 28 15:23:48 EST 2005

> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:48:26 -0500
> From: "Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corp." <vairtec at optonline.net>
> Subject: <VV> Garage Mahal
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> This basic topic has been covered before, but now it's my turn.
>
> My wife found a house that she just loves, and since it has 5 garages who
> was I to argue?  The closing is set for May 6th.
>
> Immediately after the closing, I have the one chance that I am ever likely
> to get to make the garage of my dreams.  I have questions on two topics:
>
> 1.  Floor coatings.  I dream of a NASCAR-shop floor coating.  Smooth and
> clean, impervious to wear and chemicals.  The existing concrete floor is in
> good condition.  I am working the web and the industrial connections that I
> have, but does anyone on this list have first-hand experience, good or bad?

I have considered floor coatings on my 25 x 40 garage shop floor.  I did
an extensive search and talked to homeowners that have used consumer
grade products.  One big problem is hot tire paint removal.  When your
tires are really hot from a combination of hot weather and/or fast
driving parking on your painted floor will cause the paint to lift and
stick to the tires.  Initial surface prep and good paint techniques are
important.  I could not find a consumer marketed and priced product that
would guarantee no hot tire problems. The industrial grade products,
usually epoxy, were too expensive and too hazardous for home owner
application.  I gave up and use long rubber industrial carpet runners.
Two are enough to for one car.  These are the carpet runners found in
building lobbies in winter. They are rented seasonally and changed
frequently by the rental company.  I bought used worn pile runners at
cheap prices.  It's worked well.  Enough of the pile is left to collect
and hold the drips of water, salt and mud off the underside of the car.
In spring I just slid them outside and hose them off to wash.

> 2.  Lighting.  I envision two parallel lighting systems:  The existing
> incandescent bulbs, for simply getting into and out of the garage on a
> daily basis, and Indoor Daylight for when I'm working in there.  Some
> low-temperature compatibility will be required, because while I will be
> adding heat to the garage that heat will be only to take off the chill when
> working in the winter, not full time livable heat.  The garage is fully
> sheetrocked and so it is inherently bright.  Again, responses from
> listmembers with personal experience with garage lighting will be appreciated.

I use double tube high output 8 ft fluorescent cold temperature
fixtures.  Each tube is 110 watts and with the magnetic cold temp
ballast below freezing light output is not a problem.  Fixtures are
$40-60 at Home Depot or Lowes.  Bulbs are $7-9 each.  One problem is
magnetic ballast noise.  They hum, loudly if you don't do anything
special.  I attached the fixtures so that I could screw right through
the ballast mounting holes into a securely mounted 2 x 8.  Helped a
lot.  Silent electronic ballast's are available, but are expensive in
cold temperature start grades for high output (110 watt) tubes.  I've
tried the consumer grade electronic ballast fixtures.  Don't like them.
A four tube 8 foot fixture (i.e. four 32 watt 4 foot tubes) doesn't give
anywhere near the same light output.  It's almost like moon light vs.
sunlight!  They are however, almost silent.

Consider talking to an industrial lighting expert for advice.  I've got
some opinions on garage insulation and heating too!  Good luck on the
new home.

John Dozsa