<VV> Garage Mahal

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Mon Mar 28 16:15:47 EST 2005

First, congrats on the new house!!!

Next, I'm right with John on both counts.

 If the garage is brand new, just a concrete sealer is a good idea. That's what most shops use and it cuts down on the concrete dust. But in a "used'
garage, I just leave it alone and/or use cardboard. The carpet runners are a great idea I may try.

>I use double tube high output 8 ft fluorescent cold temperature
>fixtures.  Each tube is 110 watts and with the magnetic cold temp
>ballast below freezing light output is not a problem.  Fixtures are
>$40-60 at Home Depot or Lowes.  Bulbs are $7-9 each.

In my WI garage, I used a combo of normal bulbs (for quick light) and mercury vapor for the main lights. The color shift under the mercury, while reportedly
better than sodium lamps, was still bad and stressful to the eyes when working. I went to the same  110W 8' fixtures that John uses and could not be
happier. Mine were from Home Depot and the prices Jophn quotes are about right.

 I have noticed no issues with cold starts (though this is MD and not WI), the light is outstanding, and I have never really noticed the noise.

Good luck!

Bill Elliott