<VV> Input seal ring - purpose

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 09:25:17 EST 2005

The ring is there to limit the movement of the flexible input shaft and
protect the soft rubber seal.  I put a car together once without the  ring.  It
drive about 1/4 mile before the first incidence of very strong,  low frequency
vibration.  I turned the car right around, went back to the  house, and pulled
the trans.  Fortunately, I knew that I had forgotten  the ring, so diagnosis
wasn't too difficult.  I SHUDDER (pun intended) to  think of how hard it would
have been to diagnose without knowing about that  missing ring!
Craig Nicol

<snip>I remember awhile back some discussion on the purposes of  the input
shaft
seal retaining ring. The most obvious purpose would be  to hold the seal in
place. There was also some talk about a purpose  having to do with the input
shaft
flexing, or is my memory as bad as  my wife says? Ned <unsnip>