<VV> my throwout shaft is cracked

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Thu Mar 31 10:42:34 EST 2005

Replace the shaft. However long the crack is, it will grow longer until you
have a messy leak that will attack your clutch function. Do not use an NOS
or used shaft - get an upgraded replacement from a vendor (it will provide
for two input-shaft seals).
    You're looking at a ticklish reassembly job on that diff that will
require SOME special tools borrowed, bought, or contrived. Consider
consulting your Shop Manual (in detail).
     I think I would recommend purchasing a rebuilt diff from a vendor. I
recall they sell these. I HAVE rebuilt my diff two or three times (different
problem each time), and I have accidentally found problems in it that were
over and above whatever I was going in to fix. I believe my first reassembly
or two may not have been adjusted quite right (by me), and these MAY have
contributed to the later failures. These are eternal mysteries - I will
never know, will always have some estimate of the possibilities, that
actually changes as time goes by and I hear more things about this area of
black magic.
     IF you decide to rebuild yourself, repeat your question about what
should be replaced, and I will provide a prioritized list. Depending on how
aggressively you go into the list, you certainly can get into some money
(hundreds, not thousands). Do you have a dial indicator? Know what one is?
Know how to use it? It may be the key tool used in a rebuild, and it is NOT
one of the "special tools" I referred to.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C