<VV> Werid Problem

Ewell Mills emills5 at cfl.rr.com
Tue May 3 10:40:17 EDT 2005

I made a post a few days ago about a weird problem I had with my 65 Monza 110 with A/C on the way to Helen, where I won the not so coveted Hard luck award after spraying oil all over my engine compartment. (With all sorts of resulting problems from slipping belt, oil in the alternator etc.)  Since arriving home I have had some time to work on it and I am pretty sure I have found what I did to cause this mess.  It would appear (according to picture in Clark's catalogue)  that I had my 90 degree oil filter adapter reversed (end for end).  This caused the end that the oil filter mounts to have both the paper gasket and the rubber one that comes on the oil filter.  Also, this put the round 2" rubber gasket on the wrong end of the thing.  I think I have it right now, but would appreciate someone correcting me if I am wrong.  When installed correctly, it appears that the long bolt goes into the hole on top, and the short bolt (horizontal one) is used to hold the filter.  (Silly thing will obviously go on either way by reversing the placement of the bolts).  Other than blowing oil all over the place from the loose connection at the mating of the oil filter (due I think to having double gaskets) another weird symptom that I was having is now corrected.  I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge that takes off from a tee below the Oil Pressure switch.  With the aforementioned problem that I created, the oil pressure reading was very slow to come up to where it should be.  Now it jumps right up there like it ought to. (and now mimics another car with mechanical gauge).  This scares me.
I still find it hard to believe that oil that was leaking from the bottom of the filter could be sucked up into the air cleaner....but what the heck, it must be what happened. (Either that, or the oil came up through the PCV tube and filled the air cleaner).  Still have my doubts too about how the Dip stick got blown out a couple of inches.  Some suggested that the top end of the PCV tube was covered in oil and caused a back pressure on the crankcase, but the PCV tube extends up high enough into the air cleaner bottom section that I don't think that's possible.  (PCV tube was not dirty or stopped up).  Oh well, just glad it did not wipe out my engine.  Hope I have the 90 degree adapter right now.  If not, please correct me ASAP, before I screw something else up.  Thanks.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.