<VV> Werid Problem correction.

Ewell Mills emills5 at cfl.rr.com
Tue May 3 18:53:13 EDT 2005

I gave out bad information when explaining the oil filter leak that I had on my trip to Helen, Ga.  A couple of people caught my mistake and straightened me out.  The oil filter adapter (90 degree, used on A/C and Smog engines) cannot be put on backward.  I stand corrected.  Sorry about that.  What I did do (incorrectly) was to put one of the flat paper type gaskets into the groove on the end of the adapter that mounts the filter.  This is wrong, and over a period of time obviously caused the seal to deteriorate between the oil filter and the adapter and start leaking.  The correct way to install the adapter is to use the flat paper gasket and the 2" rubber gasket on the part where the adapter mounts to the Alt.(Gen.) bracket. (upper or top part). The oil filter end should not have any gaskets added, only the rubber one that is part of the filter.  My goof.

I still find it hard to believe that the oil leaking from the filter was sucked into the air cleaner horn in sufficient volume to load the air cleaner filter and housing with oil. (Also does not answer oil all over the engine and dip stick pushed partially out).  It was so sudden, and covered the road (Interstate) behind me with dense blue smoke.  Engine was blowing smoke out of both tailpipes, but was still running fine.  No fouled plugs or skipping at all.  I may never know exactly what happened, but sure wish I could.  All the other problems were caused by slipping oil soaked belts. (Both Main and A/C).  This I understand.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.