<VV> Was A picture of the (ahem...) defective melted carb in now "Mr. Obvious"

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Thu May 5 11:55:53 EDT 2005

>I would like to thank you for asking the question, following through with
>the diagnostic, and posting the source of the problem.  In doing this you
>have taught some of us to be "Mr. Obvious" in our own search for the cause
>of a problem.

I think this is an excellent point... MANY of us don't see the forest for the trees when trying to diagnose a problem. I've seen otherwise exceptional
mechanics confused when a car wouldn't start because it was out of gas, why they were down on power when the throttle wasn't opening all the way, or
why the engine was running strangely under acceleration when one of the linakages from a secondary carb had become unclipped (as happened to me on
one of my track outlings and only discovered AFTER I trailered the car for the day...)

Any of these "big picture" problems should be evaluated first; I think Chuck's post was a reminder to do that.

In my opinion, you're correct in giving Chuck the benefit of the doubt. He's one of the kindest, most helpful Corvair guys that I have the pleasure to know...
but admitedly his email didn't come across that way.

Thanks for following up with the solution; no matter how long you've been doing this, you can learn something about Corvairs every day...

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD