<VV> Failed Fuel Pump

JHennes114 at aol.com JHennes114 at aol.com
Sat May 7 06:16:27 EDT 2005

I had an episode yesterday in my 63 Spyder Coupe. My fuel pump failed and
resulted in a crankcase that was overfilled with a combination of fuel and
synthetic oil. I drove (limped) 15 miles home. After cleaning the mess in the engine
compartment and ordering a new fuel pump from Clarks, I drained the crankcase
and discarded the oil filter.

Question 1. Is it likely that I have done some irreparable damage to the
cylinders by washing them with the oil / fuel combination?

When it is time to fire up again, I am planning to fill the crankcase with
new oil, run the engine for a short period and discard it and the filter and
refill with oil once again.

Question 2. Does anyone know if this is a standard operating procedure after
such an event?

Question 3. Are there any other steps that I should take?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jeffrey Hennessey
Jhennes114 at AOL.com