<VV> brake rebuild adventure

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sat May 7 22:17:09 EDT 2005

Well I finally got all the parts in that I needed to rebuild my rear brakes that had locked up on me (due to old flex lines we think) so I started the rebuild today.  The first thing I did was try to remove the flex line on the side that locked up (right side) and I immediately had a problem.  The steel line started twisting with the nut when I tried to loosen it.  For an instant I thought I might be able to make it work but it broke which fixed that.  The other side went OK oddly enough.  I went ahead and rebuilt the wheel cylinders (full of unpleasant gunk) and installed new shoes and hardware.  I had to do the right side twice because I failed to notice the shoes were different and I put the front one on the back.  I didn't notice until I went to the other side to start on it and I noticed the front one had a shorter amount of pad than the rear.  Dooh!  So now I have to order a new steel line - another week with no Corvair.  This is so frustrating!!!  At least it's my "toy" car and I don't need it to get to work - but I want to drive it.  I haven't even shown it off to the club guys yet.  I pondering being disheartened but I'm not quite there yet.

mike