<VV> REALITY HAS STRUCK

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue May 17 14:04:08 EDT 2005

At 08:17 hours 05/16/2005, Louis C. Armer, Jr. wrote:
>We can no longer take our car's security for granted. This is TWO
>extremely nice
>LM Corvair Convertibles  stolen in the last six weeks in the southeast. As
>you may
>remember Phil Parkey and Ben Lewis lost their 1965 Concours quality
>convertible
>around the 2nd or 3rd of April. I don't know that this is becoming a trend
>but our cars
>are easy prey in their stock ignition setup and easy engine lid access. Be
>alert and
>exercise good sense about storage and parking of your Corvair. It appears
>that we are
>going to have to use ignition disabling devices and battery disconnects as
>well as some
>sort of engine lid locks to at least deter thievery and theft of our
>Corvairs. I personally
>suspect these nice Corvairs are being shipped out of the USA to overseas
>buyers.

The latest victim should be easier to spot... with the blazingly bright
silver upholstery, I've seen the car and the seats are an easy
tag.   Anybody looking for the latest blue ragtop, look for the silver
seats.    It's likely the ONLY late model blue ragtop on the planet with
silver upholstery.

This is a concern for everyone now, since it seems that Corvairs have risen
to the status of being sufficiently valuable to prompt upper echelon car
thieves to steal them.

tony..