<VV> Vendor Salute

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 18:59:44 EDT 2005

I was just thinking about the different world of the Edsel driver, and
the Corvair driver. Having been an Edsel driver for...well...since
1975, and a recent Corvair regular driver, I can tell you the biggest
difference is VENDORS.  I have driven my '64 everyday for the last
month or so, and I don't worry about it, knowing darn near anything I
may need down the road to keep it road worthy can be found.  Edsel
drivers do not have this luxury. We have no vendors. Oh, sure many of
the mechanical parts are common with Fords, but the oddball
parts..especially in the '58's like mine are hard to get and expensive.
The pushbutton Teletouch transmission shifter is hell if it breaks.
The Treadle-Vac brake booster is a nightmare and expensive to rebuild.
These things gotta work if you're gonna drive it. Mine presently has
the power steering disconnected because the pump and control cylinders
are shot and leak a fill of fluid in a half day driving. They can be
rebuilt, but it's expensive and time consuming.

I have had a lot more attention driving the Corvair than the Edsel..of
course the 'Vair is bright yellow! It's like everywhere I go people
stop to talk about it.  To the point where when I was at the bank last
week talking to an officer (away from the tellers) a guy came in and
was pestering the teller about who the Corvair belongs to..as he went
into his diatribe about them. I didn't fess up, selecting peace and
quiet.

The Edsel club people are a totally different breed to. mostly a LOT
older than Corvair people (maybe an obvious observation) and mostly all
consider it blasphemy to do anything to your car that's not original.
Preserve them, don't turn them into rolling abortions (yes, they
actually say that).  The NATIONAL Edsel convention last summer drew
about 50 cars, very few with any mods, and lots of grey hair, plaid
pants, and pocket protectors. Lots of nice guys, just don't get caught
with the wrong air cleaner on your car, and this ain't Concours gang.

I have found the Corvair world to be a real breath of fresh air that
has really rekindled my interest in things automotive.

So, damn it, LOVE those vendors, this would be a real pain in the butt
without 'em.  Edsel people are stuck with a list of people who repair
or repro a few parts and that's about it. Sure, there are a lot more
Corvairs on the road (although I know of 4 Edsels in my area, but only
my son and my Corvairs).

Just sharing.

Tim

Discover Yahoo!