<VV> Solutions (humor?)

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Wed May 18 13:30:38 EDT 2005

Well Tim, It sounds to me like a "Dump the " E##**+&* " party is looming in the
future. Get out while you can, make the big bucks, then buy a couple more
vairs for
you and Ryan. After all, Ryan's new song indicates some FC models would be
in order.

Chuckster
///////////////////////////////////////////////

At 03:59 PM 5/17/05 -0700, you wrote:
>I was just thinking about the different world of the Edsel driver, and
>the Corvair driver. Having been an Edsel driver for...well...since
>1975, and a recent Corvair regular driver, I can tell you the biggest
>difference is VENDORS.  I have driven my '64 everyday for the last
>month or so, and I don't worry about it, knowing darn near anything I
>may need down the road to keep it road worthy can be found.  Edsel
>drivers do not have this luxury. We have no vendors. Oh, sure many of
>the mechanical parts are common with Fords, but the oddball
>parts..especially in the '58's like mine are hard to get and expensive.
>The pushbutton Teletouch transmission shifter is hell if it breaks.
>The Treadle-Vac brake booster is a nightmare and expensive to rebuild.
>These things gotta work if you're gonna drive it. Mine presently has
>the power steering disconnected because the pump and control cylinders
>are shot and leak a fill of fluid in a half day driving. They can be
>rebuilt, but it's expensive and time consuming.
>
>I have had a lot more attention driving the Corvair than the Edsel..of
>course the 'Vair is bright yellow! It's like everywhere I go people
>stop to talk about it.  To the point where when I was at the bank last
>week talking to an officer (away from the tellers) a guy came in and
>was pestering the teller about who the Corvair belongs to..as he went
>into his diatribe about them. I didn't fess up, selecting peace and
>quiet.
>
>The Edsel club people are a totally different breed to. mostly a LOT
>older than Corvair people (maybe an obvious observation) and mostly all
>consider it blasphemy to do anything to your car that's not original.
>Preserve them, don't turn them into rolling abortions (yes, they
>actually say that).  The NATIONAL Edsel convention last summer drew
>about 50 cars, very few with any mods, and lots of grey hair, plaid
>pants, and pocket protectors. Lots of nice guys, just don't get caught
>with the wrong air cleaner on your car, and this ain't Concours gang.
>
>I have found the Corvair world to be a real breath of fresh air that
>has really rekindled my interest in things automotive.
>
>So, damn it, LOVE those vendors, this would be a real pain in the butt
>without 'em.  Edsel people are stuck with a list of people who repair
>or repro a few parts and that's about it. Sure, there are a lot more
>Corvairs on the road (although I know of 4 Edsels in my area, but only
>my son and my Corvairs).
>
>Just sharing.
>
>Tim

Corvair Atlanta, BOD