<VV> wheel bearings, what grease and other ?

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Tue May 17 19:11:35 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Vairdad at aol.com
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> wheel bearings, what grease and other ?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:33:05 EDT

> When repacking rear wheel bearings on early, what is best grease and when
> greasing does grease come out of bearing next to hub?.
> Thanks
> Garland

Hi Garland,
The best reference for doing this important and necessary task is the CORSA Tech Guide, which is complete with several pages of step by step instructions and details with pictures of each step.  I use standard wheel bearing grease, but generally use EP and Synthetic, just because.  I have recently taken to using a cartridge and a needle adapter on the pump so I can just squeeze and direct the needle right between the rollers, once everything has been cleaned out.

No, it does not generally come out of the bearing next to the hub.  I would certainly check from time to time just to make certain you are not lubing your brake shoes.  I have lubed several of these and have not had one leak yet.

-- Larry