<VV> Fro Sale: '64 Monza 2-door, 110, PG / Factory Air

Charlie Henderson trailerdog46 at verizon.net
Sun May 22 07:47:00 EDT 2005

To all,

Painfully, I am offering up for sale my 64 Monza. This car has been a faithful daily driver for the past year. It has been a lot of fun fixing and driving, but other more pressing commitments necessitate. I am located in southern West Virginia. The car was purchased in San Antonio, TX in the summer of 2003. Currently showing 54,000 miles, which I believe to be accurate. This Corvair is in better shape than ones I bought 30 years ago. The body is in excellent condition, but needs a paint job. The interior is so-so, but all original. Door panels and headliner are 41 years old and look it. The seats are OK and usable with no big tears. The dash pad has been covered with a carpet style cover like they use in the western states. The glass is all good with the windshield having a couple wiper scratches on the drivers side, not in the viewing area. Prior to my ownership, the engine and mechanicals had never been touched. The car is red with a black interior. It had been painted a long time ago, as the original color appears to be white.  The A/C is complete and still mounted; the belt is even installed. The fan works very well, and the compressor and clutch appear to work fine. A recharge would probably put it back in full working condition. The radio is a Sony cheapie as the old AM went south a long time ago.

When I bought the car it was not running. It did run for the previous owner, who claims he was only the second. The ring gear on the PG converter was worn to the point that the starter would no longer engage. I trailered it home to AZ (where I lived prior to here), removed the starter, had it rebuilt with a new drive gear, put in some fresh gas and fired it up. The starter still didnt engage well, but at least I knew it ran. We then moved to Florida shortly after that, so I trailered it across the country.

Upon getting settled in FL, I removed the entire power train, disassembled everything down to the bare motor, cleaned it all up, replaced the converter with a '69 unit I got from Mark at Southwest in AZ, and replaced every seal and gasket. The carbs are Wolf premiums with 53 jets. The PO had already installed an Ignitor I, and I installed a fresh Accel coil, new wires, fuel pump (NOS AC), rubber lines, vacuum modulator, engine to body seals, rear main seal, front seal, harmonic balancer, plus a LOT of other stuff. List available for anyone interested. Lets just say the mechanicals are great. Brakes got the full treatment with rebuilt wheel cylinders, hoses, springs, shoes, and a dual MC from Underground. A new pitman arm bushing is in place as well as new tie rod ends from Clarks. I removed the gas tank and thoroughly cleaned it and the sending unit to workable condition. The sway bar bushings were replaced along with the rear transverse leaf bushings and mount rubber. We can go into further detail off list if you wish. The car runs very well, and even with its tired paint job still gets all the inquisitve looks and comments.

I have been a Corvair fan since I was a kid; my grandfather bought a new one every year they were in production. My first real car was a '64 Monza 4-door that I purchased in 1972 for the grand sum of $25.00. I was 14 yrs old at the time and my family was struggling financially. That car brought us from Pennsylvania to central Indiana in the fall of 1972 and was our only family car for 2 years. My father went to a seminary in Dayton, OH from Indiana 3 times a week in that car, and there were probably 10 trips made back to PA for family visits before Dad had enough money to buy a bigger car. No problems at all with the car, and did I mention that besides Mom and Dad, I had 3 siblings?

I hope to sell this car to someone who is looking for a nice car to drive and work on the cosmetics. I don't have a garage to keep it in, nor any more time to do what I would like to finish it. This can be a work in progress, or just a lot of fun for someone to have like it has been for me. It brought back a lot of memories of my younger days but it's time to pass it along to someone who can keep it going.

My e-mail address is: trailerdog46 at verizon.net. Phone number: 304-466-1298. I have pictures ready to send out to anyone that wants to see them. I am asking $2500 for this gem in the rough, and from what I see on Ebay and even postings on this forum, that is more than fair. Hope to hear from you soon. I monitor this list daily if you have a question you would like to post for everybody to see. Please give a gracious snip to save bandwidth. I know everyone will appreciate it. Thanks!

Charlie Henderson
trailerdog46 at verizon.net