<VV> Stolen Corvair recovered

Dave Morris BigD at DaveMorris.com
Mon May 23 17:26:49 EDT 2005

>At 08:44 hours 05/23/2005, Bill Elliott wrote:
>
>>Current case law gives you the right of self-defense ONLY when your life
>>(or someone else's life) is threatened, NOT when you are "merely"
>>protecting property. (For the logical evolution of this line of thought,
>>check out the UK citizen who shot armed thiefs IN HIS HOME and went to
>>jail for a far longer period than the criminals for using "unauthorized
>>force".) I understand that even the police are not authorized to use
>>deadly force if ONLY property is endangered. So Tony, think twice about
>>slapping that perp with a rock unless he's in your house...
>>
>>Bill Elliott

Wonder if the operative phrase here is "UK citizen".  Every state and
country has its own laws.  Here in Texas, for instance, it used to be OK to
shoot a horse thief.  And we just traded our horses in on cars pretty
recently.  So it may actually still be legal here to shoot someone who is
stealing your 110 horses!  I wouldn't advise anybody to kill another human
just because he was taking his $3000 rust bucket, but I do understand the
frustration with crime.

Dave Morris