<VV> Re: CONVENTION STUFF

Rob Landers CorsaRob at charter.net
Thu Nov 10 13:14:51 EST 2005

Hi Bob,

I didn't chime in earlier but there is more to the convention planning
committee than what Harry mentioned yesterday.  Besides Larry as the chair,
each CORSA division has a person on the committee, too.  I may not be
completely up to date but for the past several years, the Eastern division's
committee member was Ward Bourgondien but I think I heard recently that his
health has not been so good lately.  Ward, if you're on here best of wishes
for a speedy recovery.  Out here in the Central it has been me for at least
5 years, and Frank Dotson has served out in the West about as long.

Our purpose is not only to assist those groups who have already secured a
national convention but also to seek out and nurture groups within our
divisions as potential future hosts for a national.  One of the best
opportunities to do this is to assist those groups putting on regionals.
This past year, I spent quite a bit of time providing feedback to the Iowa
group which put on a fine event in Cedar Rapids this past summer.  Prior to
that I reviewed and assisted their efforts in preparing a national
convention bid that was unfortunately not accepted at last year's
convention.  I had hoped to attend the regional in Wichita but was not able
to do so... but I still have them on the radar screen!!

I think Greg Scarborough's Lexington group did an outstanding job
organizing/hosting last year's convention... I spoke to him and most of his
event chairs many times prior to their convention and also made a trip down
to one of their last pre-convention committee meetings.  They certainly
leveraged my knowledge to fill in some minor gaps and if nothing else,
confirm they were on the right track.  Over the years, I've provided advice
to many groups that had contacted CORSA about doing either a national or a
regional and I know Frank & Ward have done the same.

Rob Landers
Co-Chair, 1994 Midwest Corvair Owners Convention
Co-Chair, 1998 CORSA National convention
CORSA Member since about 1979 or 1980
CORSA Convention attendee since 1987... missed only 5 in that time
CORSA Director (1995-2001)
CORSA Finance Committee Member since 2001
CORSA Convention Planning Committee since about 2000