RE <VV> Rebuild II

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 13 20:41:16 EST 2005

Hi Stephen,

I don't think Porsche came out with the production aircooled six until
around 1963 so that kind of debunks the idea of Porsche licensing the engine
design to GM.  I think all the rumours that have been tossed around about GM
stealing/licensing/copying VW/Porsche stem from the use of Porsche chassis
on some the test vehicles plus the fact that VW/Porsche were also aircooled.
I also believe if my memory serves me right that quite a bit of study was
done of the VW/Porsche engines when designing the Corvair engine.  Only
makes since to study what was already working.  I think that is also where
the 4 cylinder Corvair rumor comes from.

The "Head Saver" is another clue to this Porsche/VW mechanics experience.  I
think he meant "Case Saver" which is a common term in the VW world for
replacement threads that are used to "save a case" when you have stripped
head stud holes in the case, which is a common occurance in VW blocks.

Talk to you later,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!