<VV> Gen Light on, (and bright)

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 21:28:48 EST 2005

Folks,

I was helping a friend work on his 1961 700 this weekend.  It has been  out
of commission for about 8 months.  Our first task was to repair a  leaking
Powerglide shift cable.  We got that done and he mentioned that he  had heard an
odd engine noise the last time that it had run.  We attempted  to crank it up
(he had just put in a new battery) but it wouldn't start.   We noticed that
there was no power to anything so we checked the battery and it  was good.  A
little searching showed that the connections were bad.   We got a new neutral
cable with terminal end and replaced the terminal on the  positive cable.  There
is a wire from the voltage regulator to the positive  cable which was pretty
ratty.  We replaced that wire and then cranked the  car up.  The car ran
(roughly) and made a fair amount of noise including  what may be a clattering
lifter.  In any case we got it to where it would  run fair.  My friend told me that
the generator light was on  (bright).  I asked him if it had been on before he
shut it down.  He  told me no.  I am wondering if there is a problem with the
polarity of the  generator after the work we did.  Any thoughts on this will
be  appreciated.

Thanks
Randy Vidrine
Branch, LA (worked on my buddy's car in Rayne, LA)