<VV> head studs, et al

mmcguire at hiwaay.net mmcguire at hiwaay.net
Mon Nov 14 20:59:09 EST 2005

Harry,

Yep- I'm surprised that North Star engine didn't learn something from Mercedes
mistake there- they did that on the first aluminum block V8's.  A time
consuming job to helicoil those holes.  There is a jig plate to insure you get
the holes drilled and tapped perpendicular to the gasket surface.  The Al is
high silicone alloy which quickly dulls the taps.  I think 3-4 taps is normal
for doing a set of heads.  The past 3 series of motors, they have used inserts
which solved the problem.
I was thinking the casting technology that VW was using on their engines was
VW/Porsche owned.  I thought I had read something years ago alluding to the
connection.

Michael