<VV> Re: Flooded Mustangs in New Orleans

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Nov 22 19:04:12 EST 2005

At 12:55 hours 11/22/2005, Jeff Clark wrote:
>Everyone's worried about these cars being cleaned up
>and finding their way to market.  If they'd been under
>CLEAN water for a short period of time, then I'd
>worry, too.  But cleaning up flood cars and selling
>them at auction is all about profit- if the scammers
>can't make money, they won't even try.  As it will
>cost them more to clean them, fix the problems and get
>the smell out than they can even sell them for, I
>don't think we have too much to worry about.

Add to this the notion that they were under water for likely a week
or more, and that's SALT water.    Not much chance of those engines
being brought back to life without some serious massage.    Likewise
all the electronics and upholstery and anything else not rustproofed.

They're project cars now, suitable for teardown and modifications
etc.   Either that, or junkyard fodder, part them out.

Somebody  dedicated and thorough as a labor of love may salvage one
of them, perhaps... but it likely wouldn't be cheap.    You can't let
a car sit under salt water for long without bad things happening to
it, unless it undergoes a *very* thorough cleanup and even then
there's likely other issues to deal with besides seawater in the
drivetrain.

tony..