<VV> My country's REAL name

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Tue Nov 22 18:50:40 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Underwood" <tonyu at roava.net>

> Now:    How many of you out there knew that the name of the country we
> live in is actually Columbia?
>
> ...the only place it's ever actually (usually) evident is in the name of
> the Capital of the country (District of Columbia).

Bulls**t !!

The country I live in is officially named "The United States of America"

>From our Constitution:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union,
establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common
defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to
ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for
the United States of America."

I don't see the name "Columbia" anywhere in that sentence.

"District of Columbia" is the name of the place where we put our capital -
it is not the name of the country anymore than "City of New Orleans" is the
name of that state.

Now take this subject over to VV-Talk!

Bill Hubbell