<VV> Yellow Corvair day

Levair at aol.com Levair at aol.com
Mon Oct 3 11:37:56 EDT 2005

all,

We had a great day at Putnam park. About 8 or 10 Corvair enthusiasts from
Indy showed up to add to our gathering.
  There were two equally beautiful yellow street Corvairs there ; one a
perfect yellow early convertible and the other a later coupe with a "believe it or
not upholstered dash".

   Michael's yellow racer broke on an early run. The lower front a-arm was
attached by a previous owner with a 1/2" aluminum Heim joint which broke
somewhat dramatically. Michael missed an entire session so he drove my red Stinger in
the next session. I happened to have a (blessing or luck) a steel rod end
which he got installed in time for the last session of the day.
   Speaking of Heim /rod ends; my car had extremely stiff steering in the
first session. It had not been driven in over a year. We jacked it up and
inspected everything underneath. Tom Miller was turning the steering wheel and found
a corroded aluminum rod end which supported the steering shaft. Immediate fix.
   Our cars ran fine and were no trouble. They put us in group "A" which is
the most experienced drivers and fastest cars.
  We could almost keep up and could even pass a few Corvettes and Porsches.
The fastest car that went by me was a Miata with a Ford Mustang  V8 in it.
One of the fastest Porshce 944 Turbos also had nitrous inj.
    NO amount of suspension sophisication will make up for that power
advantage. In order: power, tires, suspension, driver.
  There are no preparation rules in track days.
   My Orange turbo car has more power, but the Stinger handles much better.
  Now if the Stinger had about 20 more HP, it would have a chance of being
top of the "A" group.
   I didn't want Michael to break , but it was great to watch the Stinger go
around the track. Our times were virtually identical.
   The weather was great, great friends, and the Corvairs had no belt or
oiling problems and sounded great.
   One "friend of Corvairs" Porsche had to wear diapers to contain the oil
leakage.

Warren