<VV> What is it & where can I get some?

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 03:49:42 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Years ago I worked for Beechcraft building King Airs in Wichita.  At the
time we used a product to protect wire bundles etc from chafing whenever
they passed in the vicinity of a sheet metal edge.  We called the stuff
"tractor tread" because that's what it looked like. Looking at a cross
section it was like a rectangular "U" shape.  The sides of the "U" were
about 1/8 inches long.  The sides of the "U" were cut at intervals to allow
the stuff to go around corners without kinking.  For example, to protect an
oval shaped hole, you'd just cut the correct length and place the material
over the edge of the sheet metal. It's natural springiness kept it in place.
The fit was generally pretty tight.  Why, you ask, what do you want this
stuff for?  Well, I'm in the process of cutting all of the holes to install
A|C in my '66 convertible.  It'd be great for keeping the various hoses from
committing suicide on the edges of the holes. Does anybody have any
familiarity with this product?

Jim B.

More information about the VirtualVairs mailing list