<VV> Demand for 110 HP engines for Airplane on the rise

Brown, David David.Brown at bsci.com
Sun Oct 9 16:39:55 EDT 2005

Gail,
We have gotten a lot of these requests on our club email site, starting
about 4 years ago.  I am certain something of substance was published
for the home built/experimental aircraft guys that they use as a guide.
I have spoken to a few who know absolutely nothing about Corvairs or the
engines, yet a typical request (their "Step #1") is as follows:

---> "I need a '65-'69 164cid, 110hp engine with an engine code of
RD,RF,RH,RX, or RK.  The turbocharged engines or the 140hp engines are
not suitable and it must not be seized up. It must have the #8409
crankshaft."

I have sold 2 of them over the last 3 years, each for $100 apiece.  One
I got with a load of parts with no idea of condition or how many years
it had been sitting, and the other came out of my car.  It was running,
but smoking bad, plus it had a mystery timing problem which I figured
(correctly) was a camshaft installed incorrectly.  One buyer was a
Corvair person with his hobby changed to aircraft (he also gave me a
bunch of parts at no charge), and the other new nothing about Corvairs,
but is now seriously looking for a LM convertible to restore with his
son- and will join the club as well.  However, with all of the recent
requests, I don't even reply anymore- just delete.  It's a cool hobby,
but I would rather see the engines in our favorite cars.  The going
price, BTW, does seem to be $300, if it is not locked up.

Dave
Corvair Houston