<VV> 140 carb jet sizes

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 16:49:43 EDT 2005

<snip>
Jim asked:
Hi All,   I have a 1966 140 4-speed convert, no smog heads, no A/C. My info
suggests main jet size is 0.050 and secondary carb jet size is 0.046. I am
not
completely satisfied with the performance (not smooth at acceleration  2000
RPM to  3000 RPM and  some hesitation/lurching as secondaries kick in.  I want
to know if anyone else is using jet sizes different from factory  recommended
sizes to get smooth acceleration and secondary transition.
<unsnip>

Craig Responds:
Before I changed jets, I'd look at the timing of the secondaries and I'd look
at the ignition system.  Yes, it sounds like lean misfire but dumping the
secondaries in too soon and ignition breakdown will create those reactions too.

If the secondaries dump too soon, there isn't enough airflow throught them to
pull in an adequate amout of fuel leading to coughing and lean misfire.  If
your plugs or wires breakdown (electrically) at higher pressures, you can get
misfire that way as well. Are you running a conventional plug (larger spark
kernel than platinums and more tolerant of lean mixtures)?  Gotta good coil
output?  Good silicone wires?  My 140/4 is running the same 50/46 combo and runs
extremely well, but we don't "get" to have oxygenated fuels here.  You might
need to bump the jets slightly if that's what you have in your area.  I run a
pertronix, MSD-5, silicone wires, and Bosch 7502 "supers" (a conventional plug)

Oh, one other thing, the 50/46 combo works best with powervalve carbs.
Craig Nicol
2 EFI 140s