<VV> Domain names (very little Corvair)

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Tue Oct 18 06:52:24 EDT 2005

Ned:

>I'm looking for some help registering a web domain name. The Google I did
>came up with several different outfits with even more pricing options. I haven't
>done this before and would like some advice from those that have.

I researched this about a year ago because I needed to set aside about
50 domain names.  The service I found to be the cheapest was at
http://www.hostway.com.  You can register a domain name there for $6.95
a year.  By contrast, Network Solutions (the big kahuna in the industry)
charges $34.95 per year.  Yahoo! (and others) will occasionally
advertise domain name registrations for $4.95/year, but if you read the
fine print, that price is only for the first year and it's $7.95 per
year thereafter.

At hostway, all you need is an available domain name and a credit card.
They also have a "domain forwarding" feature in which you can point the
domain at any other URL you wanted (e.g.,
www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter672).  In that way, you could achieve
your primary objective of letting people type a shorter name
(WichitaCorvairs.org), but you wouldn't have to do anything else.  Your
chapter's existing website would just work as is.  You would also avoid
having to pay a hosting service to host your site since my understanding
is that CORSA provides this to chapters for free.  If not, I also can
point you toward a cheap and reliable hosting service that I have used
for several years.

If you really want to save some typing, both KCorvairs.com (Kansas
Corvairs) and WCorvairs.com (WitchitaCorvairs) are available.

If you have any other detailed questions, please write me offline.  I
only answered this portion here because I thought a few others might be
interested.

HTH.

Steven "finally, a question I can help with" Serenska
http://www.serenska.com/IdealGarage