<VV> Vega (No Corvair)

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Wed Oct 19 13:41:08 EDT 2005

I, too, married into a Vega - my wife owned a hatchback when we married.  It
was a dog in the snow (we lived in Michigan back then) - had to put heavy
weights in the back to get any traction.  I traded it to my Mom for the
balance of payments owed on my Datsun F-10.  The F-10 was Datsun's (now
Nissan) first foray into front wheel drive and had a number of liabilities
(like a shifter that was a piece of junk), but it did go through snow well,
and it was the car I owned when my wife and I met and married, so it was
rather special to us.  I never did wash off the lipstick hearts that
somebody drew on the backup lights on our wedding day.  We ran that poor car
into the ground - about 160,000 miles - replaced the engine cradle once
after it rusted out.   I finally "traded" it in when I bought a new VW
Rabbit in 1982 - I made the poor dealer give me $100 for it - it wasn't much
more than rust on wheels by then!!

Incidentally, that Vega was the only car I have ever owned (however briefly)
that did not have the engine over the drive wheels -- well, excluding my
Dodge 2500 V-10 pickup truck, of course.

Bill Hubbell