<VV> Fan Belt Milage Report

Dennis & Debbie Pleau ddpleau at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 20 20:59:13 EDT 2005

I like to relate my story, when I was in high school driving a Corvair well
before I ever heard of CORSA or any other Corvair clubs, I used to toss a
few belts.  Every time a belt came off I tried to put the nest one on
tighter.  Once I tightened a belt so tight I broke the generator mount.  I
was using a pry bar on the idler pulley at the time.  I was commuting
between the peoples republic of Davis and Sacramento (20 miles) 5 days a
week and was using at least a belt a week.  I wasn't until I got back into
Corvairs in the mid 80's that I learned the way to keep a belt on a Corvair
was to put it on loose enough so you can turn the generator or alternator
fan with on finger.  The way I put them on in high school you could have
put a wrench on the nut which holds the fan to the generator and turned the
engine over.  Live and learn.

Dennis