<VV> Heat Pumps

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Oct 23 22:10:08 EDT 2005

>In regard to heat pumps,  those which are air-to-air (the usual) require a
>fairly warm winter  climate

Lowest I have seen in Orlando was 17F about a decade ago. More often we
just hope for a few days below freezing to curb the bug population.

That said, we have a 50,000 btu heat pump for the house that is much more
efficient than the 36,000 btu unit when we built the house cooling the new
500 sq ft addition without any problem. The monthly bill in summer went
down considerably when it was installed so they have gotten much more
efficient..

Heat pumps themselves are good to about 20F and have electric coils
(resistance heat) for lower temperatures. Before we had the new one
installed, I had the electric strips disconnected for years and we never
really noticed. We also have heaters in the ceiling fans in the bedrooms
which I run on the low setting (800w) for really chilly nights.

The basic problem is that the heat cycle is basically an a/c in reverse and
the outside air must warm the coils to function. Once the air temperature
gets down to the working temperature of the heat pump, transfer stops. Most
still use R-22 Freon which limits the working temperature just as high
outside temperature limits the effectivity of the a/c. With the right
medium you could get heat at far lower temperatures but it would cost a bit
more.

So for temperatures down to about 20F, a heat pump can be effective and the
EER is a whole lot beter than resistance heat but once it gets colder they
do not work so well and "help" may be needed.

Padgett