<VV> Re: garage floor paint

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corp. vairtec at optonline.net
Mon Oct 24 18:02:26 EDT 2005

At 02:54 PM 10/23/2005, Harry Yarnell wrote:

>Now my floor isn't as polished as the floor at Home Depot (how do they get
>that concrete so mirror smooth?)

When I had my garage floors shot-blasted and epoxy-coated earlier this
year, the guy who did the shot-blasting was also the guy with the contract
to polish all the Home Depot floors in the region.  He was himself a car
guy, with some 40s and 50s cars plus a muscle car or two, and he was
shot-blasting my floor as a subcontractor to the guy I hired to epoxy-coat
it.  He said that had he gotten to me first he would have recommended the
polishing instead of the epoxy coating.  He claimed the his concrete
polishing creates a floor equal if not better in durability to the epoxy
coatings, and at less cost.  The appearance is of course a personal
matter.  The polished concrete that you see in the Home Depot does look
good and does stand up well, but I prefer the look and "reflectivity" of
the pale epoxy coating I chose (you can get virtually any color you wish).

On my floors, the product used was Sherwin-Williams ArmorSeal Floor-Thane
CRU Polyester Urethane.  This is a two-part coating designed to stand up in
aggressive industrial and marine environments, and provides resistance to
UV exposure, abrasion, impact, and chemicals including acids, alkalies,
solvents, and fuels.

Recommended uses, according to S-W, are concrete, steel, and wood surfaces,
on industrial, commercial, or marine applications.  Examples provided
included auto service centers (bingo) and exterior helipads (!)

The primer was ArmorSeal 33 Epoxy.

See the product information sheet (in pdf format) at:

www.sherlink.com/stores/ImgServ?id=datapages/armorseal_floorthane_cru_8-45.pdf

If the link doesn't work, just do a Google search on Sherwin-Williams
Floorthane CRU.

Remember, preparation is key, just as it is with painting a car.  As noted
I had my floor shot-blasted, but not to a mirror-smooth finish.  If you
make it too smooth, it becomes dangerously slippery when wet!

A very similar floor coating, and one of the inspirations for mine, is
shown on Rick Norris' Corvair site:

http://webpages.charter.net/corvairalley/misc-06.html

Check it out.  Rick's site is fun, anyway.

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net