Petronix - was Re: <VV> Gargle on the overrun

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 16:18:45 EDT 2005

Ron,
       Well, I think that the Petronix has much more to offer than that.
When we installed one in Jim's purple 140 Corsa in the parking lot a few years
ago at a CORSA convention, we noticed an immediate improvement in the quality of
the idle.  It appears that as the distributor becomes "aged", its rotational
slop causes the points to open (and the spark to occur) at different times in
each cylinder's cycle so the ignition timing is not the same for every
cylinder.  Since the Petronix doesn't depend on mechanical contact to open the
points, it keeps each cylinder's timing much more precise.
       In addition, for turbo engines especially, the higher spark voltage
available at the plugs is a big advantage when running under high load and high
boost conditions.
       Frank "big power needs big spark" Burkhard