<VV> Air compressor distribution lines

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Mon Oct 31 02:14:30 EST 2005

Whatever you use for pipe ..... keep in mind that air pressure is dropped by
too small a inside diameter piping, just as in water pipes or electrical
lines ...
so use, at least for your main feeder pipes, something maybe like 3/4 inch
id or 7/8 inch id .....
******
Also note that your air compressor will be excellent in taking the humidity
out of the air and puffing it right down your supply lines ... on a rainy
day, we get a gallon or so easily out of the air hoses ... the water will
collect at all the low points, so its good to get a wallyworld small dryer
( about $10-20 each ) and install one before each  "drop hose " . What we do
is make about a 2 foot diameter drop loop with a rubber * AIR PRESSURE RATED
" hose and insert a small dryer as above into the low point of this loop ...
then run the loop back upward, and then a "t" quick connector to pop your
drop down hose into. ( hmmm ... a dangling participle and a dangling air
hose ... ) ....
******
Your air tank itself will collect a lot of water in it, so have a bottom
drain and use it often ... also, sooner or later you will want to put a "
serious" dryer gadget right off the tank main feeder ... these can be
automatic, and blow off water every 5 minutes or so... it would be good to
have a floor drain or at least a bucket there ... you can also attach a hose
to this big boy and have it blow the water out a window or other outdoor
exit ....
which is another good reason to have your air compressor walled off ... all
this hissing and gurgling can definitly get to be old about 3:30 am when you
are fishing with a magnet to get that e-clip you dropped into a sparkplug
hole ...
*****
Also ... think safety ... we had a "wrong pcv" main feeder pipe blow in our
shop, and it was about like a 12 gauge in effect ... yep, blew sharp pieces
everywhere, about a foots worth of pipe particles, lucky no one was hit ...
also loud like a 12 gauge ...
Also, we all know better, but kids will come along and can[t resist playing
with the air guns ... they like to blow air into their buddies eyes and ears
.... potentially ... no, guaranteed bad bad bad results ....  and remember,
YOU are the village that is responsible for these children ....
Hope this helps,
ken campbell, hot air expurt in Iowa