<VV> Air compressor distribution lines

Rick & Janet Norris rickjanet at charter.net
Mon Oct 31 17:50:16 EST 2005

Well.
This thread about PVC pipe has been beaten to death and resurrected again
and again! Short term memory loss??
I am by trade an industrial pipe designer with over thirty years of
experience in every chemical, pharmaceutical, petrochemical and paper mill
you can name.
I would NEVER use PVC pipe for pressurized air. It lacks physical strength
for impact resistance, durability and is subject to ultra violet
deterioration over time.
My home system uses 3/4" galvanized iron pipe with screwed fittings. I use
quarter turn ball valves. I have what is called a "dirt leg" below the
valves with a ball valve on the end for blow down. I have a ball valve
manual drain on the bottom of my tank. The main headers all drain to a low
point with a blow down valve. I also use a flexible connection between the
compressor and the iron pipe.
Go to
http://www.tptools.com/statictext/tech_notes.asp?mscssid=SAG7K8JKUCWG8L8JMKTCX7M88LJXFWVF
or Google TIP Tools and look under the technical tab then Air line hook up-
metal piping diagram. This is how my system is piped
Iron pipe will help drop the moisture out of the air which plastic pipe will
not.
I use a moisture trap, regulator and a coalescing filter on my bead blaster,
hose reel and aux drops which will clean and dry the air good enough to
paint with.
TIP Tools has everything you need but the pipe fittings and valves can be
procured locally at Homey De-pot and such. Correct operating pressure dry
air and oiling for air tools will ensure long life and safe operation.

This the only way to do it safely.

Rick Norris
Senior/Lead piping designer/checker
Augusta Engineering & Design