<VV> Tacking Strips

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Sep 2 16:05:38 EDT 2005

At 09:49 hours 09/02/2005, Geoffrey A Johnson wrote:
>I have the top for my convertible, and am hoping to use the long
>weekend to work on installing it.  I will replace the side taking
>strips, but am wondering what to do about the front one under the
>front bow edge that is riveted in.  It is pretty much shot on my
>car.  I am guessing drill out the rivets, and cut new strip material
>(  I just recieved what clarks sells for tacking strip replacement)
>to fit and use small screws and nuts to hold it.  Anyone have any
>good suggestions?  What glue do you guys suggest to glue in the tack
>strips, and to go in between the tack strip material, to build up
>the material to the correct thickness.

Frankly, the best tack strip material I've used seems to be strips
cut from semi truck trailer mud flaps.  They're very flexible, tough,
usually fiber reinforced, and they grip a staple nicely.   Find a
thicker one at a truck stop parking lot... they seem to  litter the
parking lots these days, got a couple locally just by walking along
the edge of the truck stop lot and simply picking them up off the
ground.   Pop rivets or screws will secure the end strips on the
front bow... backed up with a GOOD brand of weatherstripping
cement.  Make sure the channel is CLEAN so the glue will get a good grip.

>Also if anyone has any tips and tricks on top intstalls please
>share. Thanks again to all those that offered online and offline
>help before on my top install questions.

Measure, measure, and measure.    Then measure again.   Get a white
crayon to make reference marks on the top.   Chalk works in lieu of
the crayon.   Expect to spend hours.   Have tools on hand that you
know you'll need so you won't have to run back and forth.  Also have
help on hand if possible.   Do NOT be afraid of a few wrinkles
because they *will* shrink out as long as they're not major.   Make
sure you have longer staples for the back bow since it's gonna have
several layers of material over it and will need longer staples to
dig into the tack strip which is also deeper than the ones in front.

Good luck,

tony..