<VV> strange noise from my Corsa rear end

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Sun Sep 4 21:53:24 EDT 2005

If you mean to replace the differential outright (or the transaxle, a rather
larger and heavier piece), you might keep driving just to test the rust
theory I saw mentioned in this thread. IF it's rust or you believe that to
be the case, you should change the lube a time or two (first time WITHOUT
waiting) to get the (supposed) rust out of the bearing systems, since it may
chew the bearings up pretty fast if you don't. Once you have a load of used
lube, I would think you could test it for the presence of rust by straining
it, stirring it with a magnet (rust is magnetic), or both (magnetized
strainer?).
     If the rust theory is correct, this problem MIGHT correct itself over
time and you MIGHT be able to get the rust out of (diluted in) the system
fast enough to save the transaxle. However, doing this entails putting the
transmission at risk, too. Again, if you can just pitch the whole transaxle,
it's rational to try this.
     As a middle course, you can drain and remove the transaxle and take the
cover off the diff without taking it apart, and inspect it at least to some
extent for rust on the ring gear. You can assess the general condition of
the diff (and transmission), and even possibly somewhat ameliorate the rust
with a vigorous, careful intervention. How you'd really protect the
bearings, I can't quite figure out, but this limited intervention would at
least enable you to learn a lot (not everything) about what's going on in
there.
     The consensus seems to be that the trouble is inside your diff. You
MIGHT be able to overcome it without actually taking your diff completely
apart. But you would not be able to be sure until you had put the diff back
into the car and driven it.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C