<VV> Interesting GM cars

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Fri Sep 9 21:19:44 EDT 2005

Car companies typically go bankrupt because they cannot mae a car the public wants to buy at a price point that is reasonable. Due to the labor costs that
GM has to endure, it's a wonder that it's lasted as long as it has.

As much as it pains me to admit it, GM kept the Corvair alive at least two years too long for the maket. BUT they failed to make good use of the Corvair
experience when the market DID call for a smaller, fuel efficient car. And the "beancounter" mentality? You don't offer a bottom end car that costs more to
make than your mid-range cars...

That's a lesson they also didn't learn when the released the Fiero. They actually tried to market this as a commuter/shopping car when it was ill-suited to
either duty. Toyota took the same idea and made it successful with the MR2 as a sports car. GM spent all that extra money on the Fiero (and put up with
the extra weight) to make it easily restyled... then offered only one alternative bodystyle and only one additional engine... as ill-suited to the Fiero as the
base engine. Ever drive a Quad 4 Fiero? Or a V8 Fiero? Both engines fit the car and mission better than anything GM ever offered... even though the
engines were sitting there on the shelf.

The Reatta? Neat car without a market at its price point. Drop the stupid electronics and price it 15-20% over a Miata and you've got a car.

The Allante? (I daily drive one and love it) Another car without a market at its price point...YET GM lost money on every single car becuase of the crazy
construction costs. What the market really wanted was a simple 4 seat Cadillac convertible... which Caddy refused to offer... then or now. The XLR? I'd
rather have a Corvette or an old Allante... and I WANTED to like the car.

The Solstice will sell well because Lutz held the line on price and power... a low price and high power have been the hallmark of every "great" car...
Corvette (at one time), XKE, Cobra, Mustang, GTO, etc... why is every car company that ignorant of history?

Besides the Corvette (too much money and too much power to be a huge seller, but a great buy for the performance level), the only other car that GM is
selling that is AT ALL interesting is the Cadillac CTS-V... and it's as ugly as they come. (The Allante ushered in a generation of very attactive Cadillacs... but
whoever is doing the styling now is doing to Cadillac what Chris Bangle has done to BMW).

The Soltice will sell well (but as noted not like the Mustang), Lutz will retire a hero (again), and GM will go under. But not because they don't deserve
to...but because they have made even worse decisions than the British car industry... and, yes, I lay most of that blame at the beancounters.

Bill