<VV> Interesting GM cars - NO CORVAIR

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Fri Sep 9 22:39:00 EDT 2005

On Sep 9, 2005, at 9:19 PM, Bill Elliott wrote:

> Car companies typically go bankrupt because they cannot mae a car the
> public wants to buy at a price point that is reasonable. Due to the
> labor costs that
> GM has to endure, it's a wonder that it's lasted as long as it has.

*SNIP*

The most interesting idea I've heard regarding GM's financial troubles
is that they should spin-off GMAC. They make money and could make a go
of it. That would leave the car business to file Chapter 11. THEN...
they could negotiate with the unions and end up with a reasonable cost
structure that would allow them to be competitive and profitable.
Unfortunately, some blue-collar workers would no longer make $80,000
and have incredible benefits, but then, life is rough, isn't it?

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC