<VV> Budgeting for a Transmission Rebuild

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sun Sep 11 16:59:27 EDT 2005

VVers:

My '65 4spd transmission has been making some new grinding noises when I
press the clutch and try to downshift to second or first (e.g., when
coasting up to a stop light).

Because this transmission has long had a cranky throwout bearing, an
occasional muddy feeling to the clutch, and a chipped reverse gear, I
decided that this latest issue (worn synchros?) is a sign from God that
I should do something about the transmission.

What should I expect to pay for rebuilding the transmission (parts and
labor)?  By rebuild, I assume I'm talking about rebuilding the gearbox
(to replace the reverse gear and whatever the grinding noise is),
replacing the throwout bearing, and replacing the clutch.

I'd like to put some money aside and get it done while the car is off
the road this winter, but I really have no idea what to budget for.
Also, are there any "well, as long as you're in there..." items (e.g.,
flywheel) I should think about replacing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steven "saving his butter and egg money" Serenska