<VV> Loose pinion gear

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 19:49:22 EDT 2005

John McMahon wtote:
"Hi, everyone.  I have a problem.  My pinion gear is slightly loose on
the
shaft. "

John,

I have rebuilt quite a few diffs. A loose pinion gear is almost always caused by wear on the pinion shaft. You are correct that the gear is much harder than the shaft.
I would not worry about using a new shaft with the old gear, unless you did not have to press the gear on. It should take some effort to get it in place.
On a shaft that had good internal splines, I have used small amounts of JB Weld on the pinion gear splines on  a very clean shaft to ensure no movement by the pinion gear.
Typically, a failed front pinion bearing will cause a loose gear. Not sure if it is heat or the clearance increase beating it up, but I have only seen loose pinion gears in units that have had a failed bearing at some time.

I have never had a failure yet in one I have built to check and see whether the gear loosened up again.
I will say that for an UltraVan or an FC used to pull loads, I think I would use new gear and shaft or weld the gear to the shaft once shimming was done.

Good Luck,
Bill Wells