Fwd: <VV> High Current Alternator

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Sep 22 12:37:56 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/22/2005 12:06:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pp2 at 6007.us
writes:
Memory sez that the 10 DN (external regulator) was available in 37, 42, 55,
and 63 amp versions and you could mix or match stators and armatures to get
different outputs. The 42 and 63 amp versions did not put out as much at
idle as the 37 and 55 but crossed over at higher rpm.

These were replaced by the 10 SI series around 1971-72 and are the internal
regulator version in approximately the same form factor and were available
in 55, 80, and 100 amp versions. For high output alternators generally you
need look no further than the biggest Cadillac of the year.
Padgett's info matches mine.  My info on the 42 and 63 amp (and some others)
also points to the low output at idle--but this wasn't due to the alternator,
but to the larger Corvair pulley.  The alternators need to turn at about 1500
rpm to make their rated output and the larger Corvair pulley means they turn
too slowly at our idle.  We can't use the newer, smaller pulley because the
reverse rotation of the fan causes overheating problems.  My alternator
conversions run just fine, but sometimes I have to speed the engine up a tad in high
load conditions and in stop and go traffic.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 'Brier, '65 Corsa, 2 '68 Monzas