<VV> police harassment - again -long

Spence Shepard sshepard3 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 21:47:39 EDT 2005

Mike,

We have a similar situation here in North Carolina. Cars 35 years old and
older are not required to have a safety inspection (regardless of plate).
This is a new requirement this year. I'm sure a lot of police officers don't
know about it, it wasn't very well publicised.

I probably have a different perspective on this situation that a lot of
people. I am a State Inspector and I encourage people to have their Corvairs
inspected even though it isn't required. It certainly isn't because of the
$8 "profit" I make for 20 minutes of work that often turns into an hour when
I have a problem with the inspection machine or the car being inspected.
It's because I think the service I provide is a bargain as is the
certification that the car is "safe". I have personally experienced a
situation where an insurance company accused me of having an unsafe Corvair
when their insured ran into me. The fact that my car had recently been
inspected was a factor in the settlement. In North Carolina an insurance
company gets out of paying anything if they can prove that you in any way
(like 1%) contribute to the accident.

I know that most people don't like the State telling them they have to do
anything, especially when it come to our cars, but I think it is foolish not
to take advantage of a real bargain.

Spence Shepard----- Original Message -----