<VV> Re: Shift Linkage

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Apr 2 13:07:44 EDT 2006

John,  Chuck has everything spelled out in his reply.  Can you remove the nut
and rubber shock bumper from the rod and reassenble the whole piece in order
to reattach it loosely to the front bracket before final assembly?  If your
front mounts are really bad the tranny could be too low, but the rod should have
enough adjustment to still tie things up ok.  Plenty of cars with sagging
front mounts shift ok.  The only purpose of the thing is to keep the shift tube
aligned to the transmission as the engine/transaxle shifts on the engine mounts
under acceleration, braking and cornering loads.  It should not be so tight
that it loads anything up.  Remember the shift tube end is just brazed to a
thin steel tube so it wasn't designed to be structural or take large loads--just
tie the shift tube to the transmission for small movements.  Give me a call if
you have to get it done this weekend--contact me by direct email if you need
the number.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier