<VV> Re:2006 Buffalo convention transportation

Gary Swiatowy garyswiatowy at summitlubricants.com
Mon Apr 3 07:31:37 EDT 2006

> From: Sethracer at aol.com
> Subject: Re: <VV> 2006 Buffalo convention

> UltraMonzaWest at aol.com writes:
>
> Someone just sent me an article where the Buffalo  Police gave out over
> 13,000
> parking tickets in January to sports  fans!  I think I'll ride the bus
> this
> year!! LOL!
> Matt  Nall

> In my older age, I have tried to do some old-age things. One of those
> things
> is planing how I will get around at the Convention. (After I get airline
> reservations, if needed, and hotel reservations) I always get the Official
> Visitors Guide for the area. I did that for the Buffalo convention and
> part of  the
> information was about the traffic "issues". There is a local Metro Rail
> area
> that allows Fare-Free travel back and forth within the area. Once you are
> parked  at the host hotel, you can use the rail to leave the hotel, at
> least for
> the  downtown area. If you do cruise around, be careful about parking. By
> the
> way -  there is a lot of good information in the guide as well.  see
> _www.visitbuffaloniagara.com_ (http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com)     -
> Seth Emerson

OK, regarding the parking tickets:
These people WERE Illegally parked, meaning no coin in a meter, in a loading
zone, taking 2 spots, in front of a hydrant etc..............Yes the Buffalo
police are having a blitz on illegal parking. It really makes the news
because they have been lax for years.They are also doing it to make a
point..........by tying up the courts. The Buffalo PD went to 1 officer
patrol cars, in return they were to be given a 3% raise. Then the raise was
blocked by a "control board". Local Politics........ And sports fans
traditionally park illegally instead of "paying" to park. Now they really
"do" pay, .........a fine.
Rule of thumb.........park legally...........no ticket! How hard is that?

Seth, as far as leaving the hotel by rail...............the rail is 4-5
blocks from the hotel. If you walk the 4-5 blocks you are already pretty
well where you want to be if that is the heart of downtown. The Metro Rail
starts at the UB Campus, and ends at the HSBC Arena, more or less. There are
buses though that cover just about everything else. There is I beleive a
shuttle from the airport to the Adams Mark hotel...............I've never
actually used the Metro rail myself. But I live in the area...........

Gary Swiatowy