<VV> Convention Purpose

corvairs lonwall at corvairunderground.com
Wed Apr 5 20:51:33 EDT 2006

        Now that work is "over" let me give a little more serious
response to Jack's e mail.

There is no question that there are things that have to change, in
respect to our National convention. The problem of course always is,
that not everyone will agree with or like the changes. Jack's proposal
in total seems to clearly imply that he would like to see the National
become more of a serious business convention. That's not going to happen
- but it's also reasonable to say that elements of his attitude may have
merit.

Bigger questions involve the duration, location, costs associated and
what we believe a CORSA national convention  should "be". There is also
a very real concern that, if the conventions continue as presented, it
will become harder and harder for the "average" member to attend. But
then again, this all depends on what the membership thinks a Corsa
convention should "be".

Nothing much is inexpensive where travel and "hospitality" is concerned.
Almost everything involving travel seems to have gotten
disproportionatly more expensive. This situation will not get better. In
my opinion, Corsa may have to spend more of an effort bringing the costs
of attending our National events down. But in order to do this it will
involve sacrifices that the majority may not agree to. Folks complain
about Iowa not being a "destination" but Linda and I went to thier
sanctioned regional last year and it was excellent - and much more
affordable than either Portland or Buffalo. The folks putting the event
on  were quite serious and did a good  job - as a car convention it was
excellent.

I know some of us scoffed at Smitty, but he spoke more truth than we
probably like. I'll give you a very real example. Linda and I just got
back from Bonneville Corvair's Mesquite convention. At Mesquite (where?)
the cost for EVERYTHING (except gas of course) was HALF (literally) than
at Las Vegas (where we spent Sunday evening before flying back). If you
had a choice and someone said come to Mesquite Nevada for a convention
or come to LAS VEGAS which would you insist on?  Bonneville put on an
excellent event, that by the way, and would have been no better in Las
Vegas. Oh yeah, and our plane tickets to and from Las Vegas costs more
than what tickets to Dayton, Ohio (twice the distance) cost me last
month for the Performance Workshop.

Add the horrible increases in travel costs and vendors have to think
seriously about spending cubic dollars just to bring thier displays
along. Will many attendees feel "tapped out' when they visit the vendor
room? That's already been a trend for longer than most realize. That's
only one of many reasons why we've stopped vending at events this year -
and that's before controversial, but unavoidable, issues like sales tax
collection, licensing and  internet competition.

Somewhere in between Jack, Smitty, myself and the rest of us there is a
viable future for Corsa conventions, but like it or not, the Corsa
National of the future will probably look very different than it has the
past 35 years. Some of the changes will not come easily - some have
already happened and we just didn't notice. Some needed changes are
seriously overdue.

One final note - I am not second guessing the previous Board's decision
regarding Buffalo. I think it will be another great National and we will
be there ( it will be our first national since 1975 where we will not be
seriously vending. It should be interesting.)  So when I see that we
have to go out begging for candidates for the Board  (that's how you got
stuck with me) does it really ring true that ANYONE should critisize
when they aren't willing to serve? Ed Corson is running unopposed in the
Western division (and he's a great guy and I'll love working with him).
Talk and opinions are cheap.   Lon