<VV> Cylinder head temp.

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sat Apr 8 17:53:33 EDT 2006

The coils are not on/off... the chokes slowly open as the engine warms
up. (Only the throttle pressure holds them in place... that's why they
may seem to be on/off because by the time you hit the throttle they are
already open, but being held closed). I've never seen any data, but can
give you my observations.

I am fighting with the charging system on my wife's fully instrumented
Corvair-powered Westy, so I've been doing a lot of cold starts. I've
noted that the coils are fully open just before the heads hit 200
degrees (measured at the spark plug)...  If you manually open the chokes
below 150 degrees head temp, the engine stumbles somewhat. The engine
only gets to about 225 in extended idle.... so I'd consider 200 (or just
slightly below) to be minimum full "operating  temperature".

Hope this helps!

Bill