<VV> What are the odds?

Ryan Verthein daretocorvair at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 20:12:47 EDT 2006

here's a question for ya outta the every day.

 So, I'm finishing up the basic driving mechanicals of
my Corvair.  I'm gonna have new exhaust, new tires,
all that good stuff.

  The engine that I put in the car doesn't seem to
burn a lot of oil at this point...although I haven't
really driven it, so it's hard to say...  it's got
rebuilt carbs, a 73 amp alternator, all new wiring
harnesses, etc...
  Until I started this engine a few weeks ago, this
engine hadn't been running since probably the late
80's.

  I don't know the extent of the mileage, but I have
used two STRONG cans of engine flush with new oil,
cleaned out the heads (not deflashed...just cleaned.)
a 12 plate oil cooler (with a custom cover I finally
made...)

  What are the odds that after I get the car running,
it will actually make a 720 mile trip from here to
Topeka, Kansas without...overheating, or one of many
other problems?

  My whole plan (well, as far as the car goes)  is to
get it running, add a hitch to the back, get a small
trailer, and drive the car to KS, where it will be my
daily driver for a while.

  I just am kind of wondering what all of your
collective thoughts are on the probable state of
reliability are.

 GO!

Ryan V. in Bovey
'65 110/4 NCUC