<VV> Re: Mo' Mortal Coil

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Apr 19 15:46:27 EDT 2006

>There is no  "hot in run and start" line at the engine/body
>  harness connector. Let's be clear- I'm talking about '65 and '66 wiring, so
>  there may be differences in other years.

Let me be more explicit then. For my Ignitor II installation I have tapped
12v directly from the 18P (pink 18 gauge wire) , the third connector  in on
the side that has one blank hole (counting the blank) on the firewall
connector shown at the bottom of page 12-7 of the 66 supplement. This line
is fed by the ignition switch and also feeds the gas gauge, high temp
buzzer, temp-press light, and powers the Corsa tach (is a transistor
version and needs 12v to do anything.).

To test my theory I disconnected the 2 lead connector that contains a #12
Purple that feeds the solenoid. The second wire in this connector is what
bypasses the resistor wire when starting so was not present. I connected a
voltmeter to the positive side of the coil. With ignition on: 12v. Turned
to start: 12v. This is what I meant by "Hot in run and start".

This is a 1966 Monza 110/PG with what appears to be the original ignition
switch and wiring.

So this is a good place to get a "hard" 12v for the ignitor and I have
found #18 wire to be sufficient for my use. However if expecting to exceed
5,000 rpm a relay would be a good idea and would not hurt in any case.

I have gone to much greater length than planned since there seems to be
some mythconceptions. People can run their own tests to find out if they
also have a "hot in run and start" circuit.

Padgett