<VV> Front Wheel Bearing greasing

Ryan Verthein daretocorvair at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 30 20:12:20 EDT 2006

Every book I have touches the subject, but is short
and vague and leaves me with some questions.  All of
my books are more focuesed on the rear of cars and not
so much the front.

I figure I should probably grease my front wheel
bearings since they haven't been touched since 1969,
and have 35,000 miles on them....and that I'm planning
a 720 mile trip on I-35 soon.

Do I have to remove the front brakes to do this(other
than the drum), or does the whole assembly come off
with the hub?  that would REALLY make me a happy
greaser.

Also, the seals in there...how do they come out and
press in?  are they sure to get ruined when I take it
apart to get to the bearings?  if they are easy,
should I still get new ones anyway??

The only front bearings I've ever had to grease in an
old car was on my 49 Chevy, and it seems to me that
was an easy process...is this basically the same
thing?

TIA!
Ryan V.
65 Corsa Coupe

P.S.  Should have tires within a week.  I'll make some
small trips first and make sure everything is aligned
and reliable.  Then it's off to Kansas!

1965 Corsa/110/4
"164 ci of Flat Six Fury"
http://www.edselmotors.com/corsa.html