<VV> Disassembling the front suspension (Help)

Jason Morris Jmorris at AlamoCityCorvair.org
Tue Aug 1 11:44:09 EDT 2006

I'm currently working on prepping my front suspension for paint and new
bushings.  I'm having trouble with a few things.  Forgive the quality of the
pictures, they were taken with my camera phone.

1.  http://alamocitycorvair.org/Temp/bolt.jpg  I'm having trouble removing
the bolts holding the lower control arm in.  I've removed the nuts but the
bolt seems to be rusted in there.  I briefly tried pressing them out but
started to bend the mount (scratch that idea).  Is a torch my next option?

2. http://alamocitycorvair.org/Temp/Idle.jpg  I've beat the crap out of this
idler arms with a pickle fork but can't get them to budge.  I have a puller
but the hooks don't have anything to grip to on the other side.  Do I just
keep hammering?

3.  Upper control arm bushings and shaft.  I have access to a press but I'm
not sure if I want to do it myself and chance bending the arms.  Is it best
to have these professionally done?

4.  The front brake drums are not coming off.  Is there a special tool I can
use to remove these or do I keep prying with screw driver and a BFH.

Here's the disassembly so far.  http://alamocitycorvair.org/Temp/Front_s.jpg
Started to sandblast a few of the parts after becoming frustrated with these
problems.

Any help with these would be appreciated.

Thanks,